Swallowed Razors, Magnets, and More: New Advice for Doctors
Two new studies suggest that even when a person swallows something as potentially harmful as a razor blade or a magnet, a doctor's best course of action may be to let nature takes it course.
Some adults who show up to the emergency department after swallowing a razor blade, a battery, magnet, or multiple objects do it for "secondary gain." They want to get medical attention, an overnight stay in the hospital or other perceived benefits, experts say.
Some become "frequent flyers" — returning again and again to the same hospital after swallowing something potentially harmful. This group can include prisoners and people with psychiatric issues.